Saturday, April 13, 2013

Left-Over Oatmeal Bread

I had some left over oatmeal that I'd added crasins to.  I found this recipe, made it and it tastes divine. I also added some cinnamon and knew it would make a great breakfast bread. Yum!

Leftover Oatmeal Bread

Ingredients:
  • 2 c room temperature leftover oatmeal
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2 1/4 t. yeast or one envelope
  • 1/4 c. molasses or honey
  • 1/4 c. melted butter
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 4-5 cups bread flour
  • 2 t. salt
Directions: Mix oatmeal, water, yeast, molasses and one cup of the whole wheat flour until well blended. Let rest for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes add butter, the other 1 cup whole wheat flour and 3 cups bread flour. Mix well and let rest for an additional 20 minutes. Mix in salt and knead in additional bread flour until the dough is just slightly sticky, but pulling away from the bowl. I knead mine in my kitchen-aid for about 5 minutes. I dust the top of the dough with flour, cover and let rise until double, about 1 hour. Punch down dough and form into 2 large loaves or 3 medium loaves. Put into greased loaf pans, dust top with flour, cover and let rise until double, about 1 more hour. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of your loaves.

No comments: